Get Started With OverDrive
If you will be using a computer to use OverDrive, or have a Nook GlowLight 3 or 4, or most other non-Apple, non-Android, or non-Amazon device, use these directions.
To see if your device is compatible with transferring materials to your device, visit https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/devices.htm
Search in OverDrive
- Search through the Buda Public Library’s catalog
- Search through the Central Texas Digital Library (CTDL) catalog
Through the Buda Public Library’s Catalog
- Go to buda.biblionix.com
- Sign into the catalog with your card number and phone number
- Search for an item, just like you would search for a physical item.
- If the item is in OverDrive, it will say ~OverDrive in the Location column and OverDrive eBook/AudioBook before the title.
- Click on the title to bring up the record.
- Click “Download this item”. That will take you to the CTDL page for that item.
After you sign in to your account, scroll down the Buda Library Catalog homepage and click the OverDrive link under "Electronic Resources" to go directly to the CTDL catalog.
Through the CTDL catalog
- Go to ctdl.overdrive.com
- To sign in select "Buda Public Library" and enter your library card number and phone number.
- You can search for an item by keyword or browse by format and subject using the menus on the top left column.
Check Out OverDrive Materials
- Next to your desired item on the CTDL site, click the “Borrow” button. From there, you may continue browsing or go to checkout. You can have 5 items out at one time.
- When you’re ready to download the items, go to "My Account" near the top right of the CTDL homepage.
- Next to the title of your item, click "Read now in browser" or click “Download” and press the "Confirm" button.
- If you are asked if you want to Open or Save the item, select Open. This will open the item in either Adobe Digital Editions.
Ways To Read or Listen To Your Borrowed Item
You can also read e-books in your browser with OverDrive Read, so you won't have to download an application. Under the title of your selected e-book click "Borrow" and then "Read now in browser" to use this option. For help navigating OverDrive Read, visit https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/0867.html
You can listen to audiobooks in your browser with OverDrive Listen. Under the title of your selected audiobook click "Borrow" and then "Listen now in browser" to use this option. For help navigating OverDrive Listen, visit https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/1200.htm
Adobe Digital Editions
- Go to the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) website https://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions/download.html
- Select the “Download Digital Edition” link for your correct device (Windows or Macintosh).
- Follow the prompts in the setup wizard and it will walk you through installation.
Transfer eBooks to Your Device
Once you have checked out an e-book and downloaded it to your computer, you can transfer it to your e-reader.
- Plug your e-reader into your computer to transfer e-books to it.
- Open Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).
- Downloaded ebooks should open automatically in ADE.
- Select the 'Library View' icon (in the upper left corner).
- The Adobe Digital Editions library is displayed.
- Click on the Adobe eBook you want to transfer.
- Drag the Adobe eBook to the eBook device icon in the left pane of Adobe Digital Editions.
- The 'Copy Documents' dialog box is displayed and the title is transferred.
- When transfer is complete the 'Copy Documents' dialog box closes. Disconnect the eBook device and enjoy the eBook on-the-go.
- 5 items can be checked out on an account
- 3 items can be reserved
- eBook and eAudiobook items check out for 14 days.
- There are no renewals. If your check out time is up the item will return to the library. If no one else has reserved it, you may check it out and download it again.
Returning Items Early
If you finish early with an item you have checked out, you can return it. This will help speed up the holds list and allow you to check out more items.
- Go to ctdl.overdrive.com
- Select “My Account” near the top right of the CTDL homepage.
- Click, "Loans".
- Directly below the title of the borrowed material, select “Return”.
- A dialog will appear asking if you're sure you want to return the item. Click “Return Title” to confirm.
OverDrive updates its website and apps often. If these instructions are no longer accurate, please let the library staff know.