- You Are Here:
- Research & Explore
- Application Based Devices
Application Based Devices
If you are using OverDrive with a device that uses apps, use these instructions.
Get Started With the Libby App
Note: OverDrive has discontinued the OverDrive app for most devices. Devices already loaded with OverDrive will continue to work for a while, but there will be no updates or fixes. New users will need to download the Libby app. To see if your device is compatible with the Libby app visit this site.
Download the Libby App
- On your device, go to the relevant app store. (If you have a Kindle Fire tablet learn how to install Libby here.)
- Search for "Libby"
- Select "Libby, by OverDrive"
- Install the app
Using the App the First Time
- Open the app
- The home screen will ask if you have a library card, click "yes"
- Click "Search For a Library"
- Enter “Buda” into the search bar and select "Central Texas Digital Consortium"
- Click "Sign In With My Card"
- Select "Buda Public Library"
- Sign in with your card number and phone number or password.
Searching with OverDrive and the Libby app
There are Several Ways to Search for Materials:
- Search through the Buda Public Library’s catalog
- Search through the Central Texas Digital Library (CTDL) catalog
- Search through the Libby app
Through the Buda Public Library’s Catalog
- Sign in to the catalog buda.biblionix.com with your card number and phone number
- Search for an item, just like you would search for a physical item
- If the item is in OverDrive, it will say ~OverDrive in the Location column and OverDrive eBook/Audiobook before the title.
- Click on the title to bring up the record.
- Click “Download this item”. That will take you to the CTDL page for that item.
Through the CTDL Catalog
- Go to https://ctdl.overdrive.com/
- To sign in, select "Buda Public Library" and enter your library card number and phone number.
- You can search for an item by keyword or browse by format and subject using the menus on the top left column.
Through the App
- Open the Libby app
- On the Libby homepage, select the magnifying glass search icon on the bottom left corner of your screen
- Use the search box at the top of your screen to search for an item (Note: Limit your search by clicking "+more" under the "Explore with filters" section directly under the search box)
Having trouble finding items that are available for check out? Use the Advanced Search function to limit results to only what is available for checkout. Click on “+more” (to the right of the keyword search box) and under "Availability" use the drop-down menu to select "Available Now". You can do this while searching by keyword or format.
Checking Out OverDrive Materials
Through the CTDL Catalog
- Next to your desired item, click the "Borrow" button. From here you may continue browsing or go to the Loans page.
- On the Loans page, next to your eBook, click "Read now in browser" or download the Libby app to read or listen on an application based device.
Through the Libby App
- Once you have found an item, click the "Borrow" button to the right of the title. The app will then display a screen verifying you would like to borrow the selected item. Click "Borrow!"
- From here, you may continue browsing, open the item, or go to your bookshelf. You can have 5 items out at one time.
- When you're ready to download the item, go to your bookshelf by selecting the book icon at the bottom of your screen.
- For ebooks, click "Read With ..." next to the title of the ebook and select either "Libby" or "Kindle".
- For audiobooks, click "Open Audiobook" next to the title of the audiobook.
Reserve a title: If an item is currently out, you can reserve it. Click "Place Hold" next to the title of the item. The App will then display a screen verifying that you would like to place a hold on the selected item. Click "Place Hold!" Libby, by OverDrive will email you when the item is available. You will have three days to return to the Libby app to download it.
- 5 items can be checked out on an account
- 3 items can be reserved
- eBook and eAudiobook items check out for 14 days.
- There are no renewals. If your check out time is up, the item will return to the library. If no one else has it reserved, you may check it out and download it again.
Returning Items Early
If you finish early with an item you have checked out, you can return it. This will help speed up the holds list and allow you to check out more items.
- In the Libby app, go to the Bookshelf.
- Next to the title you want to return, click "Manage Loan"
- Click "Return Early"
- The app will then display a screen verifying that you would like to return the selected item. Click "Return!" button.
OverDrive updates its website and apps often. If these instructions are no longer accurate, please let the library staff know.