Your Library Card
Learn how to get a card, renew materials, place holds, and more.
Who Can Get a Card
All Hays County residents can get a free Buda Public Library Card by providing a photo ID (e.g. driver license) with current address or an ID and proof of current residence in Hays County (a current bill mailed to your address). A parent or guardian must sign for children under 16.
For those living outside of Hays County, there is a yearly $15 fee (effective 10-1-2011).
There is a $3 charge to replace a lost library card.
How to Get Your Card
Come fill out an application at the library. Be sure to have your picture ID; if your ID doesn't have your current address, bring something with your name and correct address on it (like a bill, check, lease agreement, etc.).
- First visit - there is a 2 item limit per person present for first-time borrowers.
- Once those items are returned there is a 20-item limit.
- Videos (DVDs and Blu-rays) are limited at 5 per family.
- Videos and magazines are checked out for one week. All other items are checked out for 2 weeks.
- Parents are responsible for items borrowed by children under the age of 16.
- You may call or email the library and we can place a hold for you.
- Try the online catalog on our website. The catalog will allow you to place a reserve from any Internet capable computer.
- The library will contact you when the item is ready for pickup. We will hold the item within 3 business days.
Renewing Your Borrowed Items
Our online catalog allows users to renew most borrowed items. All items can be renewed if no other patron is requesting it. Items that have been checked out for 3 or more months must be physically brought in to the library for renewal.
- As of Oct. 1st, 2023, the library is no longer assessing late fines.
- There is an book-drop on the back of the building. Follow the driveway across the front of the building, then turn in the loop to the right, across from the Public Safety building. The book return slot is on the wall of the building.
- Borrowers must pay for or replace all damaged or lost materials and pay a $3 processing fee.
After you have been a member of the Buda Public Library for one month, successfully checked out and returned items, and your account is free of fines and fees, you are eligible to receive a TexShare Card which gives you additional borrowing privileges at many public and academic libraries in Texas. Your TexShare Card must be renewed annually. Ask at the circulation desk for more information.
Buda Library users are eligible to borrow through the Interlibrary Loan Program after they are active members for one month and have successfully checked out and returned items from this library.If you do not find an item at the Buda Public Library, you can request that the item be sent to Buda from another library.
Interlibrary Loan systems scan the network and locate the book for you. The lending library sends the book to Buda where you can pick it up. You can make up to 3 interlibrary loan requests at a time. This service costs $2 per item to help cover the shipping costs.